Monday, July 28, 2008

Church Camp and the Epilogue

Worship Wednesday night was a night of keys. We were each given a key and the sermon was about being willing to use the key to unlock the cell we have put ourselves into through our own doings and THEN we were to give the key up so we could not unlock the door and go back in. I have to say the teens were all for giving up the keys (except the one who thought his key was really neat) but a few of us adults have grown accustomed to the cell and are not willing to step out of it as it is unknown territory and little frightening. I gladly accepted the key so I can let myself out but I held onto it not really ready to stay out....well, let's just say God had other plans. After being home a couple of weeks, I have discovered my key is gone. I let myself out and now I cannot get back in! Yikes! God what are you thinking!!???!!! Oh, you probably think I can handle it....well....I'm glad You can because I am going to be following YOU! Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be doing that anyway aren't I???

Also, during the sermon, Pierre stopped and said "I see someone under a tree tomorrow afternoon reading their Bible. I don't know who you are but you need to know that God will show you the scriptures you are looking for" Well, I made the joke along with several other counselors about "wonder how many kids will be under trees reading their Bibles tomorrow" LOL! The next afternoon, I was trying to get the counselor I had loaned my swimsuit to so I could go swimming. I sat down on a bench basically between the two camps and sent her a text. While waiting for her response I decided to go through the scripture for our next small group session. After I had done that, I decided maybe it was time I sought God in my struggles....gee, what a novel idea? LOL! Prayer is one of my strong suits and some have said it is my calling but, I have really strayed away from it over the past couple of years because I didn't want to hear what God had to say so I decided to look up scriptures on prayer. The first one I read was 1 Sam 12:23 "As for me, far be it that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you..." Ouch...talk about slapping me right in the face. This was followed by 2 Chron 7:14 which was a scripture aimed at me and my friend who I was also looking for scripture for her and then Rom 8:26 which spoke to both of us as well. So here I am still waiting for a response to my text and thinking "God, I will do better. I make that commitment now" I gathered my stuff and stood up and as I did, I realized I was sitting under the biggest darn tree at camp. Needless to say, I told Pierre what had happened when I got back to our camp. He asked me to share that with the group that night and I did. And, I am still holding to that commitment and going to Him in prayer everyday lifting up those I know are in need and those who He places on my heart.

Thursday night at camp is usually a night of tears and LOTS of them! This thursday night was different. Altar calls had been made and answered through the week and the focus for this night was on taking the next step. Understanding who we are, why we are here, and what we can do when we let God take the lead. As he finished, he had kids stand up according to what they felt called to do. One of my youth stood under a call as a teacher or youth director. I stood and prayed with Him knowing that God is going to do great things through this young man. As we walked out of worship that night, the youth and I began plans to start a Bible study to get further into the Word and it is now in its 3rd week. God is Good.

2 comments:

Kellan said...

The tree story was very cool! ANd ... I also noticied in your sidebar about your son becoming an Eagle Scout - Congrats to him (and you) for that. My son is working his way up and will hopefully one day be an Eagle Scout!

Take care - Kellan

PJ said...

Great finish!! God truly does know where we are and uses our abilities to the extent of our willingness and commitment. Praying for you to continue guiding your kids to commit willling to the Lordship of JEsus Christ!